Skip to main content

Patient Story

You are here

Alexander Kollie

His son was MSF’s 1,000th Ebola survivor

Afghan Man

I had to cross many countries to come here: first Iran, then Turkey and finally Bulgaria. The border between Iran and Afghanistan was the most dangerous … I was also detained for two and a half months in Bulgaria. I have been here [Subotica] for four days, and every day I try to cross the border [to Hungary] but so far I have not succeeded. Each time I fail I have no choice but to come back here, there is nowhere else to go. It is very cold and I can barely sleep at night.


Thea was identified through case-finding activities in Kien Romiet village and admitted for treatment

MSF came to see the village chief, who asked the people to go to see the MSF team about the screening. An MSF minivan came and took those who wanted to be screened to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital the doctor saw me and after the process told me I had TB … I did not know I had TB, but MSF knew it.


They sent us to Doctors Without Borders , who told us we should do the tests for HIV. It’s me who is a victim; my children are in good health. When I started to cry the doctor encouraged me. She told me that it’s good to know, because now that we know they can help me with the treatment.


Ahmed’s nine-year-old son and a friend were injured while playing with something they found: unexploded ordnance. Ahmed brought his son to Ar Ramtha for emergency treatment.


Suffering from MDR-TB
While on treatment, I had no idea that I would need psychological help. But when you take the drugs, you get side effects. I became nervous and apathetic. The psychosocial support that I received from MSF during my entire treatment was tremendously helpful. After six months of outpatient treatment, the doctor came to my house with the results of my last sputum tests: "Shakirake, I have good news for you, the test results are great. You have been cured!"


Diagnosed with advanced HIV and CMV and was the first MSF patient to take valganciclovir
If I had not [attended] the clinic in Dawei, I would probably be dead. For the CMV, the doctor said that when he looked into my eyes, he could see a lot of lesions in my retina through the lens. But after four months of treatment, that has improved. I have not felt any side effects and I am feeling better now. Before, it was not like that, and I had to lie down all the time. Now I can go everywhere by myself. I even got my vision back and can read the text messages on my mobile phone.

Gul Bibi*

Brought her eight-month-old granddaughter to the MSF-supported hospital in Sadda for treatment. Gul Bibi and her family fled their village after militants took control and destroyed their homes and way of life. They now live in a camp for displaced people.


Started on ARVs at Mashobeni clinic as part of the EEAA strategy
I am a rural health motivator (RHM); one of the people who have been trained by the Ministry of Health to conduct health promotion and home-based care at community level. As an RHM I talk about these things. Even at our support group we talk about it and encourage people to know their status and adhere to their medication. Being a part of these groups has helped me to accept my status and use my story to encourage other people in my community.


A patient receiving counselling from an MSF psychologist
I was in the yard with my husband when the shelling came. We had heard shelling before, but never this close. An artillery shell hit very close by. My husband was very badly wounded. Some shrapnel went into my legs and my chest. I still have a piece of metal lodged between my ribs. I called for an ambulance, but they said it was too dangerous … My husband died in the yard.


Subscribe to RSS - Patient Story