Benefits and opportunities
- Types of Commitment
Some field workers commit to Doctors Without Borders (MSF) for a single mission only, but many enjoy the flexibility of being able to undertake missions during different periods in their careers as personal circumstances permit. Others may determine that working with MSF is a way of life suited to their values and career aspirations over the long term. MSF offers a vast array of long term career options with increasing responsibility, scope, and complexity over time and the opportunity to have an impact on the strategic direction of the organization at the management level.
- Learning and Development
MSF is committed to the ongoing professional development of its field workers. It provides them with access to various types of training that build the skills and knowledge required to be effective in the field. This ensures that MSF as an organisation can respond to the most urgent and critical needs of the people it helps around the globe, people who often require scarce and highly specialsed types of expertise from medical and support professionals. Training programs can range from language training to sophisticated medical treatments and protocols, to management and leadership best practices, and a host of other possibilities relevant to the professional background and career aspirations of each individual.
- Salary and Benefits
MSF salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognising the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is 1110 Euro, with subsequent increases based on expertise and experience.
- Pre-departure training through a combination of readings, e-learning, and face-to-face modules and presentations
- Reimbursement of mission specific vaccinations
- Required visas
- Paid vacation (25 days per year)
- Accommodation and transportation in South Africa and Europe for briefings and debriefings
- Daily per diem in local currency paid while in the field
- Accommodation in the field
- Economy Round-trip transportation to the field
- Medical, disability, and life insurance coverage
- Medical evacuation coverage
- Psychological support before and after mission