Donor Development Coordinator
|Apply by||Starting Date||Job Section||Location|
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Monday, July 3, 2017
Work in our Offices
Visions of the post
The MSF SA Fundraising Team mission is:
To inspire and engage the South African community to take action to save lives around the world though financial support towards MSF projects.
- To initiate, develop and sustain major gift relationships with HNWI, corporates, trusts and foundations with the “Donor Engagement Coordinator”, in order to significantly increase our overall net income
- To establish, innovative and manage ambitious fundraising partnership and retention strategies in order to achieve fundraising targets/budgets
- To provide support in delivering consistent messaging on MSF’s programs towards the target audience.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Managing relationships with portfolio of major gift donors
The Business/ Donor Development Coordinator is directly responsible for developing, managing and cultivating relationships with approximately 20 major gift donors, including high net worth individuals, corporates, trusts and foundations, which is likely to involve pro-actively contact/engage with major gift donors on a regular basis, as per agreed communication and relationship cycles, including:
- Sending agreed mailings, emailings and other materials to major donors and prospects, as per communication and relationship cycles
- Working with retention team to ensure that high value donors receive regular communications, such as e-newsletters and annual activity reports
- Following up on meetings, including updating profiles and sending thank yous
- Reactive communication with donors
- Developing social networks through existing major gift donors to secure introductions to potential new major gift donors
- Developing and implementing strategies, with the Donor Engagement Officer and retention team, strategies for the development of mid-level donors into major donors and initiating a legacy strategy.
- Participation in planning of integrated campaigns related to retention and adapting these for major gift donors
- Take the lead on developing and managing all relationships with companies offering employee-giving and/or points-based donation systems, including ebucks, smart shopper and my school
Supervise Donor Engagement coordinator
Recruit (when necessary), train and manage the donor engagement coordinator, in particular supervising his/her involvement in the following tasks:
- Pro-actively contacting and engaging with major gift donors on a regular basis, as per agreed communication and relationship cycles
- Developing fieldworker’s profiles and staff for matching with and preparation for donor meetings, including briefing and debriefing of fieldworkers where possible.
- Developing Major donor’s profiles
- Developing the legacy strategy
- Development of major donor materials
- Organising meetings and events related to the high-value fundraising and ensuring reporting and follow-up on all events
- Plan and implement, with Head of Fundraising and other members of the MSF SA team, one larger event during the year
- Reporting, planning and data management
- Other activities as required
Developing profiles and major donor materials
- Update donor/prospect profiles for all major donors and prospects within his/her portfolio
- Work with Donor Engagement Officer to source, write or prepare materials to send to high-value donors, including appeals, articles of interest, crisis updates and impact reports
- Wealth screen major and mid-value donors (through external service provider) for targeted approach for major gifts
Meetings and Events
- Organise regular meetings with major gift donors, including meetings with board members, senior management and fieldworkers where possible
- With retention team, support third party events initiated by major gift donors with whom he/she is managing a relationship
- Management of event interns with the Donor Engagement Officer, ensuring that interns are trained, supported and their activities monitored and managed.
- Attend and represent MSF SA at agreed networking events to reach out to potential new major gift donors
Corporate and Grant Fundraising
- Research and identify grant fundraising opportunities
- Prepare grant applications according to donor requirements
- Ensure that applications and accompanying documents are accurate, effective and submitted on time
- Follow up on applications
- Ensure that grant funders are appropriately thanked
- Facilitate project visits as required
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting as per grant agreements
- Liaise, in consultation with finance and the Head of Fundraising, with Brussels Funding Unit and the mission in South Africa when necessary.
- Recruit smaller and medium-sized companies as MSF SA donors, including:
- Researching and identifying potential corporate donors
- Contacting companies to set up meetings and/or request donations
- Representing MSF SA at corporate meetings, including presentations
- Ensuring major gift donors are thanked and the relationship cultivated over time
- Other activities and strategies as agreed with the Head of Fundraising
Reporting, planning and data management
- Work with Donor Engagement Coordinator and Head of Fundraising to develop detailed plans and calendars for the high-value fundraising programme
- Maintain and update key documentation related to major gift donors within his/her portfolio, in particular, moves mapping and gift charting
- Review and follow up on monthly reporting of Donor Engagement Officer
- Prepare and submit comprehensive monthly reports for High Value Fundraising using agreed templates and reporting formats
- Work with external service-providers as required, such as for database screening to identify potential major gift donors
- Ensure that data in CiviCRM relating high-value donors is up to date and as complete as possible
- Data cleaning and ongoing research to ensure that data for major gift donors is as accurate as possible and increasingly detailed.
- Detailed tracking of all interactions with major gift donors and data analysis to guide decision-making and planning.
- Represent MSF SA in international working groups related to high-value fundraising (including but not limited to major donors, corporate)
- Participate in regular staff and team meetings and other MSF South Africa activities as required
- Assist FR team with other fundraising activities as required
- Follow the developments globally in the area of high-value fundraising
Knowledge & Skills
- A Bachelor Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, etc.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising development with particular focus on major donors, trusts and foundations, and corporate
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential.
- Computer literacy, especially Microsoft Word and Excel
- Analytical, negotiating, excellent written and verbal communication skills. A “people person” able to engage audiences big and small.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to generate reliable statistics, documentation and progress reports
- A strong interest in humanitarian issues and sharing of MSF values
- Fluency in English, spoken and written. Other South African languages is an advantage
- Contract type: 12 month contract with possibility to renew
- Salary: R28 843 per month
- Benefits: 10% additional retirement allowance, two-thirds medical aid and 13th cheque
- Location: Based in Johannesburg, South Africa
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter HERE by 14 June 2017. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.