Fundraising Director: Johannesburg
|Apply by||Starting Date||Job Section||Location|
Wednesday, April 8, 2020 - 14:15
Monday, June 1, 2020
Work in our Offices
VISION OF THE POST:
To inspire and engage the Southern African philanthropic community to take action & to save lives around the world through financial support towards MSF projects.
MSF’s fundraising Mission is to ensure the financial resources to support MSF operations worldwide by efficiently raising diversified and mainly unrestricted private funds to guarantee predictable and sustainable income in the long term that will contribute to operational flexibility, independence and impartiality. MSF fundraising also contributes to raising awareness about humanitarian crises and to fostering social engagement with humanitarian causes. MSF donors are key stakeholders who support, both financially and morally, MSF’s work worldwide and offer an essential leverage capacity to achieve MSF objectives such as raising awareness of the plight of the people we help or backing advocacy activities, among others.
The Fundraising Director is responsible for the design, coordination and evaluation of MSF SnA fundraising activities and for the management of the staff members of the department. His/her role is to develop and implement a strategy to generate nett income aiming to meet or surpass an income target in line with MSF fundraising mission and principles.
- To provide the necessary vision, leadership, and fundraising skills that will enable the organisation to achieve its fundraising targets and organisational development programme.
- To be an effective member of the Management team sharing collective responsibility to deliver the organisation's strategy and vision.
- To manage a dedicated team of fundraisers in line with organisations policy and practice, developing and retaining skills, ensuring motivation and performance
- To ensure that all external communications, and fundraising campaigns materials & events are developed and delivered to appropriately reflect the reality of MSF’s operations, MSF Southern Africa positioning framework, and in line with the ethics and standards of MSF
- To ensure that funds are solicited, collected, and allocated according to the objectives and funding needs of MSF operations, as well as within the policies of MSF
- To represent accurately MSF Southern Africa and be able to build strong relationships with internal and external networks.
- Lead the annual fundraising planning process to produce effective strategies to achieve income targets across the range of revenue streams
- Produce cost-effective budgets to achieve the planned activities of the Department
- Managing balanced and effective private fundraising activities
- To represent MSF Southern Africa on International Platforms and Coordinate benchmarking and information sharing platforms and networks
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- University Degree qualification relevant to analytical requirements of the job.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a similar position
- Demonstrable commitment to humanitarian issues
- Experience working with an NGO will be an added advantage
- Experiencing utilising the strength of an organisation brand for charity/business development
- Experience of developing and implementing strategic and business plans
- Knowledge of the fundraising environment and of range techniques and disciplines which will support the cost-effective generation of income for MSF Southern Africa
- Evidence of Continued Professional Development relevant to the role purpose and level.
- South African citizen or holder of a valid South African work permit
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Proven track record of meeting challenging income targets
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholder, client and donor relationships.
- Successful, significant and relevant achievement at management level in a comparable national/international organisation.
- Proven track record in fundraising that has directly resulted in increased income for an organization
- Exceptionally convincing and persuasive written and oral skills with the ability to present and convey complex ideas and issues clearly and coherently
- Ability to secure Senior Management and Board approval for strategy
- Demonstrable ability to evaluate the type of initiatives and programmes within the scope of the post and initiate, develop and deliver new initiatives that build on their successes.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously, take initiative and make decisions.
- Strong Leadership skills; flexibility and enthusiasm
- Commitment to MSF’s core values and strategic direction
Closing date: 8 April 2020
MSF reserves the right not to make an appointment if a suitable candidate cannot be found. While MSF thanks all interested applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.