Marketing & Donor Acquisition Manager
|Apply by||Starting Date||Job Section||Location|
Monday, October 21, 2019 - 09:30
Monday, November 18, 2019
Work in our Offices
Doctors without Borders (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation committed to two objectives: providing medical assistance to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion, natural and man-made disasters; and speaking out about the plight of the populations assisted.
MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Today, MSF is present in more than 60 countries, where thousands of MSF doctors, nurses, logisticians, water-and-sanitation experts, and other medical and non-medical professionals work together to bring essential health services to people caught in humanitarian crises.
The MSF SA Fundraising Team mission is:
To inspire and engage the South African community to take action to save lives around the world through financial support towards MSF projects.
The Donor Acquisition Manager plays a key role in the planning, development, maintenance, and monitoring of fundraising acquisition programs and operations, in line with organisational plans and objectives and, importantly he/she will lead and manage a dynamic team of employees and interns engaged in donor acquisition activities.
This position has specific responsibilities for the recruitment of MSF SA individual donors. This includes the acquisition of both regular and occasional donors through a range of marketing channels including: Face to Face, Direct Response TV, Digital Fundraising, Telemarketing and Press inserts.
The role of the Donor Acquisition Program Manager has a high level of autonomy and is responsible for campaigns that generate over 15,000 new donors per annum.
The position undertakes detailed forecasting, budgeting, attrition modelling and evaluating of fundraising programs to ensure the best return on this significant investment. This analysis ensures opportunities are identified to drive strategic growth for the long-term sustainability of MSF SA.
The purpose of MSF’s fundraising department is to ensure it manages its fundraising and donors in a qualitative and cost-effective way.
A solid and qualitative donor acquisition strategy through a stable base of loyal private donors will lead to good growth in private fundraising and an increasing income through a diversified market mix, including sources of substantial income and volume.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Objective: acquire over 10,000 Regular Donors per annum and 5,000 Occasional Donors.
1) Strategy & Planning and Organising:
- Responsible for developing, planning, implementing and evaluating set goals in relation to donor acquisition strategy, with the right mix of acquisition methods, marketing channels and target groups
- Manage the overall mix of acquisition campaigns to ensure sustainability and maximum return on investment
- Develop the annual acquisition plan and budget for approval in conjunction with broader Fundraising plans and budgets
- Ensure acquisition programs are integrated into broader organisational campaigns and communication objectives
- Take all appropriate opportunities to promote regular giving to MSF SA non-financial supporters
- Responsible for project managing advertisement activities and campaigns for individual donors
- Develop and manage marketing activities for the acquisition of new donors such as annual programs of press inserts, direct mail, DRTV and telemarketing
- Coordinate and manage the investment in Acquisition in case of an emergency campaign to drive growth
- Develop, implement & manage coherent donor/marketing communications across channels, if necessary, as well as the planning, development of materials, and liaison with creative agency
- Ensure all campaigns materials are of high quality, relevant and timely rolled out to the market, while consistent with MSF SA branding and positioning.
2) Results & Quality Orientation: Reporting, analysis, budgeting and planning
- Responsible for budget planning, optimisation, reporting and follow up of income sources defined as driving acquisition to achieve sustainable return on investment
- Measure program effectiveness through income modelling and rigorous testing, with the support of the Business Intelligence Analyst
- Provide regular analysis and reports against all program objectives and ensure programs meet set targets
- Undertake monthly and quarterly forecasts, including updating forecasting and budget modelling as appropriate
- Ensure rigorous monitoring of performance by agencies and other service providers, and undertake corrective action if required
- Implement appropriate procedures to collect relevant data for future use by the organisation
- Work with Database Manager to pull data selections as required and regularly review data administrative processes related to programs
- Work with the Donor Loyalty and Retention Manager to calculate lifetime value and determine acquisition investment strategies
- Monitor project work in progress, timelines and milestones to ensure key deadlines and targets are achieved
3) People’s management
- Manage all direct reports in accordance with MSF SA HR policies to meet the Fundraising and the Office objectives and targets and individual performance plans
- Support the Face to Face Coordinator in developing his/her plan and budget, ensuring continued growth and integration with the acquisition strategy- make sure their KPIs are achieved (in house or outsourced teams)
- Provide leadership and direction to direct reports including providing feedback, training, coaching and continuous development on an informal and formal basis.
- In consultation with Fundraising Director, conduct performance reviews and plans for direct reports
- Ensure people resources within the Acquisition Program are managed effectively, specifically ensuring recruitment, probation, and fixed-term contracts meet Program resourcing needs, and that leave, flexible hours, and TOIL, are approved appropriately
- Lead a positive culture within the Program including facilitating constructive meetings, providing career opportunities, providing role context and ensuring the celebration of achievement
4) Teamwork & Cooperation
- Ensure the acquisition plan is integrated with the work of the Digital Fundraising Manager
- Work closely with the Donor Loyalty and Retention Manager, and the Strategic Partnership Manager to drive an integrated approach to fundraising initiatives and maximise the impact
5) Organisation and Compliance
- Ensure the good governance of MSF SA fundraising programs through compliance with government legislation and regulation, MSF policies and contractual obligations
- Comply with banking and financial services guidelines and procedures as required.
6) Initiative & Innovation
- Identify and evaluate new fundraising opportunities through testing new ideas and agencies, creative thinking, keeping abreast of new developments in fundraising and the broader marketing environment.
- Maintain contact with professional bodies and other charities, other MSF offices to identify and evaluate new fundraising opportunities
Qualifications and Experiences
- Marketing, Fundraising or other relevant higher education qualifications, with significant experience (at least 5 years) in developing, driving and evaluating donors/supporters acquisition investment strategies that utilise a range of marketing channels to maximise ROI and encourage program diversity.
- Ability to understand high-level data analysis, and to learn basic modelling programs to ensure ongoing effectiveness and sustainability
- Demonstrated fundraising skills, creativity, analysis and experience, including the ability to identify opportunities and implement innovative solutions
- Demonstrated strategic planning and project management skills, including budget planning and monitoring.
- Prior management experience in leading, motivating, supervising and supporting staff and volunteers
- Experience in direct marketing, including: F2F, telemarketing, direct mail, digital marketing and mass media
- Demonstrated organisational skills, attention to detail and ability to maintain high level of supporter care standards.
- Knowledge and experience of customer relationship marketing and data-driven techniques and focus groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and relevant high level oral and written communication and story-telling skills (incl.case for support) including the ability to communicate with diverse groups on complex issues and campaigns
- Passion for Humanitarian causes
- Strong work ethic: energy, initiative, vision and commitment
To apply: Please submit your CV and Cover Letter here