Mission Epidemiologist: Coordination, Cape Town
|Apply by||Starting Date||Job Section||Location|
Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 00:00
Wednesday, August 1, 2018
Work in our Offices
Job title: Mission Epidemiologist
Work Location: Coordination, Cape Town
Duration: 12 months
Start date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Medical Coordinator
IRFFG Level: 8
SUMMARY OF POSITION
To help MSF deliver on an ambitious program of action on operational research by providing oversight to data collection and detailed support towards epidemiological methods and analysis. Defining, coordinating and monitoring the epidemiological activities, ensuring the development of appropriate methodology and the quality of studies according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to identify risk factors for diseases and to determine the optimal treatment approaches to clinical practice and the preventive medicine to be used in the missions
- To support the development and implementation of operational research in MSF South Africa’s projects giving details guidance and analysis. To critically evaluate proposals for new research and participate and co investigate in on-going research
- Defining, scheduling and organizing, in close collaboration with other medical team members, the annual epidemiological activity plan as well as its associated budget, in order to improve early detection of risk factors to better define treatment approaches and preventive practices. Leading the implementation of the protocols and epidemiological methodology, ensuring all related staff follows them in order to improve research efficiency.
- Supervising, according to annual plan, the epidemiological research activity ensuring that contacts with community groups and authorities are aligned with the objectives of the research and that the population participating in the research is properly informed. Reporting on the progress of data collection, on ongoing analysis of research or on any issue causing delay, in order to achieve epidemiological goals on time.
- Advising the MSF medical team on epidemiological matters that arise in the course of their activity research, and when necessary, designing and implementing epidemiological tools and data collection to meet new epidemiological needs.
- Ensuring, in coordination with logistics department, that national or international shipment of laboratory samples acquired for research purposes is done within datelines and according to protocols, following security rules and keeping conditions needed for the sample
- Supervising data filing procedures, ensuring that all epidemiology software tools are properly used and are updated regularly, in order to ensure full data traceability and availability
- Participating in operational monthly reports and organizing and/or assisting Med Co in preparing epidemiological reports related to project activities and to researched areas
Monitoring and Evaluation
- To Support the implementation of monitoring and evaluation in all projects.
- To review routine data produced by the projects on a monthly basis.
- To support the project data managers and epidemiologists to report data in an accurate, timely and logical manner.
- To support the proper functioning of project M&E system in line with the National M&E systems of the respective provinces
- To support the building M& E capacity for national staff through training, workshops and mentoring
- To support the development of operational research which is in line with the needs and priorities of the local population, the project and the mission.
- To support the development of operational research protocols
- To support Ethical review board submissions
- To support the cleaning and analysis of data collected within operational research
- To support the dissemination of operational research findings. This may include leading or co-authoring the write up of findings for publication in peer reviewed journals.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in public health and/or epidemiology (MPH, MSc, or equivalent), with extensive training in statistics and epidemiology
- Genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles and the fight against HIV/AIDS, TB, SGBV and CTOP
- Good time management, capable to set priorities
- Excellent strategic planning and management skills
- Good leadership skills and team spirit
- Ability to handle the pressures and stresses related to the job responsibilities\\
- Essential working experience of at least two years in Operational Research and M&E related jobs
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other iNGOs
- Desirable working experience in developing countries
- Excellent written & verbal English
Salary and terms of employment
- Salary package comparable to other similar organizations; 100% medical aid; Pension fund membership; 13th cheque.
To apply, please email your motivation letter and comprehensive CV and 3 contactable references to: email@example.com and mark your application “Mission Epidemiologist”. Closing date: Wednesday, 25th July 2018. Full Job description available on request.
MSF may choose to halt or delay this recruitment at its own discretion