Nurse: Family Planning (and Forensic Nurse)
|Apply by||Starting Date||Job Section||Location|
Monday, July 10, 2017
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Work in our Offices
Job title: Nurse : Family Planning (and Forensic Nurse)
Work Location: Rustenburg Project, Boitekong Clinic (BKCC), NW, South Africa
Job Level/Type: Level 6 (Medical)
Duration: 1 year
Start date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Clinical Activity Manager
MSF SGBV project in South Africa is strategically located in Bojanala district in North West Province’s platinum mining belt. Bojanala district with an estimated population of 1.5 million is one of the four districts of North West Province and is made up of 5 sub-districts namely Rustenburg, Madibeng, Moses Kotane, Kgetleng and Moretele. Rustenburg with an estimated population of 549,575 people is among the biggest sub-district and is one of the fastest growing cities in South Africa. The significant growth of Rustenburg population is attributed to the impact of presence of one of the world’s largest platinum mines industries where the mining industry provides around 50% of the all formal employment and accounts for 68% of Rustenburg’s economy.
In Rustenburg, MSF supports the DOH in implementing the one-stop patient-centered model of care for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence which is called the Kgomotso Care Centre (KCC). The first Kgomotso Care Centre started operating in Boitekong clinic as a stand-alone structure from mid-2015 in Rustenburg. In the second half of 2016, MSF has extended support to two decentralized KCCs in Madibeng sub-district, which is Bapong and Letlhabile.
In 2017 MSF plans to improve access by widening the range of services supported and this includes comprehensive family planning, screening for sexual and gender based violence and supporting choice termination of pregnancy (CToP) services, as access to CToP is part of the comprehensive package of care provided to SGBV survivors. A close collaboration and good working relationship with all stakeholders are essentials.
*It is MSF’s policy to provide contraceptive and safe abortion care as part of its response to women’s and girls’ health needs and those who have objections to this practice and are unwilling to support it should not apply for this position.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Primary: Organize and carry out the family planning (plus screening for sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) survivors) service in BKCC ensuring that good quality service is provided in co-operation with DOH (Boitekong clinic) staff.
Secondary: Make assessment, diagnosis and provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of survivors of sexual gender based violence, according to MSF protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the survivors of sexual and gender based violence in Rustenburg.
- Ensure family planning consultation
- Ensure care for survivors of sexual violence when needed
- Guarantee quality and continuity of care to patients
- Guarantee that hygiene rules, asepsis and waste disposal are respected
- Guarantee the stock and maintenance of the drugs and equipment
- Ensure appropriate individual counselling (information) so women can opt for the method of their choice, knowing indications, contra-indications and the secondary effects of each method
- Ensure a basic clinical examination to exclude contra-indications
- Administer and/or provide the method of contraception according to its use and protocol
- Inform and refer to the Clinical Activity Manager in case of complications/problems exceeding one's own competence
- Fill in family planning files and registers
- To offer the SGBV screening tool for all FP patients
- Lead health promotion meetings (sanitary education) in group or individually for patients consulting (in collaboration with the community health workers (CHW’s)
Also to cover the gaps and leaves of forensic nurses and to do the following:
Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Care
- Ensure diagnosis and provide treatment and follow-up for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence
- Provide medico-legal forensic services to the survivors of sexual violence
- Respect medical secret and confidentiality
- Organise daily health talk on sexual violence and deliver messages to the waiting patients at Boitekong clinic every morning
- Supervise and train nurse-aid and cleaner in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring team work
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, etc.) fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep Clinical Activity Manager informed.
- Report to the Clinical Activity Manager any relevant information linked to forensic nursing activities and participates in monthly reports and definition of annual planning, budget for the project
- Send material to be sterilized and to recuperate it from sterilization when in place
- Provide termination of pregnancy on request (CTOP) for women who are opting for it according to MSF protocol
The tasks listed above are not exhaustive. Flexibility is a qualification in a humanitarian aid organization, it may be asked employees to perform tasks other than those listed in this Job description.
Quality and continuity of care:
- Respect the medical secret, and guarantee confidentiality
- Respect dignity and the intimacy of patients. Assure a maximum of patients’ comfort
- Participate in collecting needed date for monthly reports
- Participate in the weekly meetings of the medical team
- Respect care protocols and the mode of administering treatment
- Be present at trainings and justify each absence to the Clinical Activity Manager
- Hygiene / asepsis, waste disposal and stock keeping
- Keep the consultation room clean and tidy
- Sort waste and use appropriate containers and bins (sharps, combustible waste, domestic waste)
- Follow cleaning and instrument sterilisation procedures
- Respect universal hygiene and asepsis rules during care
- Adequate follow up of used medication during consultations: manage stock files, place a weekly order and calculate monthly consumptions
- Ensure proper management and running of the medical equipment and correctly use of the dispensing drug cabinet. Preparing new orders when required, monitor expiration of drugs and medical items and consumption patterns, in order to ensure its rational use as well as that pharmacy stock levels at the clinic are permanently updated and above minimum safety point
Education: Technical Qualifications
- Forensic nursing certificate
- Current registration with SANCA
- Family Planning – knowledge of implant insertion and removal is an asset but not mandatory
- Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, including but not limited to collection of evidence
- Knowledge on choice of termination of pregnancy (CTOP) is an asset but not mandatory.
- English and Tswana are mandatory
Work ethics, patience, motivation, respect, confidentiality, team work, punctuality, CTOP friendly.
- One year fixed-term field contract (extendable)
- Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale. Medical aid + 10% towards retirement
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
To apply, please email your CV, Motivation Letter, and the full details of 2 contactable referees to: email@example.com or post to Médecins Sans Frontières, 52 Marais Street, Rustenburg 0299
Closing date: 10 July 2017.
if a suitable candidate cannot be found. While MSF thanks all interested applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.